Crafty Blogs

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Creative Pay-It-Forward

At the beginning of January an interesting meme seemed to be spreading rapidly across Facebook. It went something like this:

"2013 Creative Pay-It-Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me, sometime in the next calendar year, a gift! Made by me! Said gift may be written, drawn, baked or some combination thereof. There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status"

I don't normally share memes, but this one seemed like a great opportunity to make some little presents for my friends and to share my crafting with people who weren't customers. I shared it and got four responses, but like a lot of people I then had to think for a while about what I would make. Two of the people who took up the offer were living overseas (one in the US, one in France) so I decided it would have to be something fairly small to cut down on shipping costs. The text I'd posted said it would be something "written, drawn, baked or some combination thereof" but would anyone mind if I sewed something? I decided it wouldn't be cheating, not really, and set to work on some tiny Lucky Ladybird charms.

One of my friends loved my salmon roe coin purse, so I decided to make him a smiley keyring that would remind him of it.



Not everyone loves sushi as much as I do, I'm clear on that, but something everyone does love is a biscuit or a cookie!








Jammie Dodger and Bourbon Biscuits for friends in the UK, Oreo cookie for my friend in America. These guys were a lot of fun to make, if a little fiddly. The Oreo in particular took a long time to embroider!

While the meme was spreading I signed up to be the recipient of a couple of gifts too, so some time in 2013 I should be receiving some interesting handmade items in return. I can't wait!

Did anyone else sign up for Creative Pay-It-Forward? What did you give, what did you receive?
It's still early in the year, so there's still time to share the meme if you like the idea.

Have fun, stay lucky

LL xx

2 comments:

  1. The bourbon one is awesome! Have you tried making any cakes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet but I'm drawing up some plans!

    ReplyDelete